18 March 2008

These are a few of my favorite things

I am turning my sleep cycle around. Thus I stay up late and catch some sleep in the morning and possibly early afternoon. My previous post was of a negative bent, so I've resolved to post some pleasant thoughts:

My two year old (almost three now) knows that the little white dog that comes to play with him sometimes is named "Sparky". I had forgotten this until I heard the words 'Parky! 'Parky! and then made sense of it by checking the dog's tag. It had been about three weeks since we last saw Sparky and I had forgotten.

Today I dressed up as a pirate. My oldest was The Incredible Hulk, Spiderman, a Pirate Captain, and a Raccoon--in that order and all between coming home from school and going to bed.

My oldest (five) knows what his scapula is. He can also tell you which dinosaur is a Brachiosaurus.

My wife can and does cook. Her homemade salsa is glorious.

I will turn forty this year. And I can still hold my own with the boys on a trampoline.

Root beer.

My oldest likes to hear me sing the theme song for "the Green Comet" a superhero I made up when I was probably eleven or twelve. It goes like this:

The Green Comet fights evil with a grin,
The Green Comet fights evil to the end...the end... the Green Comet.
The end, the end, the Green Comet!

He also knows that the Green Comet's arch nemesis was a criminal, aptly named "Crimno".

Psalm 23.

Our sandbox is full of fresh, clean sand.

My little one was pretending today that two M&Ms were Bob and Larry of Veggietales. He sang the themesong, pretended they were reading a letter, and then ate them.

While we were lying on the trampoline today, my oldest and I had a talk about Jesus. As we looked up into the blue, I told him that someday Jesus would come back for us, and He would show up in the sky.

Peanut butter (preferably Jif) and Aunt Jemimah syrup mixed together in a bowl and eaten with a tablespoon. Yes, I said tablespoon.

A cool pillow on a summer's night.

A Shel Silverstein book.

Sundogs.

Using my Jedi powers to open the door everytime I walk into Walmart.

Keith Green's "Songs for the Shepherd" album.

Saturday morning cartoons, especially Bugs Bunny.

Going to sleep with my wife beside me.

Waking up alone, but with the smell of bacon and pancakes in the air (okay, that one hardly ever happens, but it is a wonderful thought).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a blessed man. Blessed I say!

Tracy said...

awwww, that was so precious! Miss you guys, tell she staci I miss her TERRIBLY! Check out my blog, thanks to Mike, I got hooked too..

http://tking2424.blogspot.com
Tracy King

Crotalus said...

Wow, just when i thought no one was reading. Hey Tracy! We miss you guys too. I'm gonna go check out your blog.

Lynda Meyers said...

That's a fantastic list of favs...

Cool pillow on a hot summer's night...doesn't get much better than that!