26 September 2008

Dragon Song

It's pretty cool how having children can bring you full circle on things. I was putting my oldest to bed the other night and he asked me for a 'made up story'. So I made up a story about me and him and a dragon that took us for a ride over the trees. After the story he asked me to sing him a song. Sometimes I sing the song, "Now the day is over, Night is drawing nigh" (not sure of the title), but on this particular night I asked him what song he wanted me to sing.

He said, "A dragon song."

Well, I know only one dragon song. (I know it because of all of my mama's 45s that I used to play when I was little.) Really it's the only dragon song I'm aware of and, in my opinion, the only one worth knowing.



I could only remember the first verse and the chorus, which I kept on repeating. But you should have seen him smile.

After I told him goodnight, I got online and decided to check youtube to see if I could find Peter, Paul, and Mary singing the song. I found them, of course. And something I'd almost forgotten.

There was a cartoon made of the song back in the seventies. I remember really digging that cartoon. Watching it again, I remembered how I identified with Jackie Draper (who was turned into Jackie Paper in the cartoon), how he wanted to talk but couldn't. And how he was afraid of a lot of things. Then I got to reading the comments about the cartoon and some insightful person had posted a diagnosis for Jackie.


Autism.

That gave me something to think about. Anyway, me and the boys watched all three parts of it on youtube during supper tonight. There's a lot of good learning cartoons on television nowadays; Dora, Franklin, Arthur. But (again my opinion), they pale in comparison to this one, twenty-five minute, cartoon.

Here it is at google video, which is better quality than the youtube posting. It really is a great little show. And a great song.

By the way, I know there's a lot of speculation that the song is full of symbolic drug references. The writers claim it is not, but is instead about growing up and leaving childhood and innocence behind. I choose to believe them. I also choose to believe that you don't have to completely grow up. Actually, I know it for a fact, since there were three little boys at the supper table tonight; two were watching a cartoon for the first time...

...while the other was relearning the Dragon Song.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check this out. It reminds me of the scene in "meet the parents" with Ben Stiller and Robert Deniro.

Crotalus said...

Hey Noah! Thanks for dropping by.