25 May 2009

Memorial Day Dedication

My hometown had a Memorial Day service this morning to dedicate the monument that was put on the courthouse grounds in honor of its veterans, especially those who gave their lives during their service. Though I didn't get any pictures, I did find some on the website of those who conceived this fitting memorial: jdcva.com.


The center monument has a list of those who died in service.




The names were listed according to what conflict the veteran served in. There was also one monument which was completely bare on the back, so that new names can be engraved in the future. These are screenshots, so you'll have to click on the picture to get a better look.



Here is the list of veterans who served, but did not have to see combat. My name is here, thanks to my sister and parents who sponsored a spot on it for me. Thanks so much. I felt very honored.

Thanks also to all the folks who had the vision for this, got the ball rolling, and saw it to completion. From what I heard at the dedication, it really was a community-wide effort. For a town so small to do something of this magnitude is truly great.

And most of all, thanks to those whose gave their lives. Freedom is not free, it is precious, and is most definitely worth fighting and even dying for. May such sacrifices never be in vain.

1 comment:

WunderKraut said...

That's great! Nice looking too. It is always humbling to see the list of those who didn't make it back.