02 April 2010

Autism Awareness Month

A post written by my wife:

My child was diagnosed with autism in August of 2007, but I knew before then that he had autism. I knew when he did not answer when I called his name. I knew when he couldn’t ask me for a cup of milk to drink. I knew when he had intense tantrums every day. I knew when he couldn’t understand what I was saying. I knew when he wouldn’t look at me.

I knew my child was going to be OK when he was receiving speech therapy and started talking in sentences. I knew he was going to be OK when he received early intervention and started pretending to be a superhero. I knew he was going to be OK when he went to school and was learning to read. I knew he was going to be OK when he made a friend.

I knew I was going to be OK when I accepted that he is different and that just because his brain works differently doesn’t mean he can’t live a full life.

3 comments:

Cullen said...

Aw, you guys are wonderful. For the little amount of time we got to spend together, I certainly miss y'all.

Jen Talley said...

Awesome post Staci....I love you:) You are one amazing Mama and I have learned so much from you over the years. Thnks for posting this!!!

Crotalus said...

Cullen, the feeling is mutual.

And Jen, I know Staci feels the same way about you.