28 May 2010

My thoughts on LOST

Emotionally, it was a satisfying end.  But only in that regard.  And it's apparent that's what the writers were going for, since they left so much unsaid or unexplained.  No, I didn't need every detail spelled out, but some things had been built up to the point to where you just knew an answer was forthcoming.  The biggest  for me, as my wife can attest to (since she is surely tired of hearing me talk about it) was the Dharma Initiative.  They devoted an entire season to the time traveling back to the seventies so the main characters could infiltrate the place.  In my mind, Dharma was the Big Mystery that would eventually be solved.  I'm still not sure what purpose it served in the big scheme of things.  For the last several episodes we've been fed this Island Mythology that was revealed and then summed up in very short order, even then without answering much. 

I'm glad all the characters got closure, because I don't think many of the fans did.  The writers wanted to tell an epic, the only problem is they let it get too big for them to manage and, in my opinion, did not know how to get to where they say they wanted to go. 

No comments: