18 December 2007

A Key Turning

Well, I've finally decided to start blogging, about two years into the fad really. Which is pretty much the way I follow most trends.

The first decision to make was, of course, that of a title. And now that I have it, I guess I should explain it's relevance. (For the hordes of loyal readers that are sure to find their way to this cyber doorstep.)

Back in '05 I wrote a short story entitled "A Key Turning". It was for a fiction writing contest for the local paper of the town I was living in. And lo and behold I actually won. Since then I haven't sold a single word, but I write on. And should I never sell another word, I'm actually quite pleased with that one accomplishment. It was an inspired story.

I mean that literally. On the way to work one day, soon after I had noticed the contest announcement in the paper, I saw in my mind's eye a seabag lock. What is that about? I wondered. And I heard His voice as clear in my spirit as I've ever heard anything, "That's for your story." Soon after that I began writing it. It's about the things that keep us locked up inside, and the way we can be free. Mostly it's about forgiveness.

Now that I'm blogging, I can see all kinds of symbolism in the simple artifacts of lock and key. It's the way that shackles are removed. It's the way we enter our homes. Jesus has given us the 'keys to the kingdom'. When people talk about some crucial method of attaining a goal, they describe it in terms like, "the key to victory is..." And I've even heard folks talk about a key turning point in their lives, etc.

And those are the kinds of things I want to blog about. The things that have opened doors for me and are 'Key' in my life: God, family, friends, humor, art, and inspiration.

Here we go....

No comments: