21 January 2009

What's going on?

So here's another update on my thyroid problems. Went to the doctor today and he explained that my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), which is produced by the pituitary gland is not exhibiting the inverse relationship to the thyroid hormone that it is supposed to trigger the thyroid to produce.

Say huh?

In other words, my T4 (thyroid hormone) levels are low. But so are my TSH levels. When T4 is low, the TSH levels typically increase because the pituitary starts trying harder to tell the thyroid to make T4. This doesn't seem to be happening. Which means the pituitary gland could be the cause for the hypothyroidism.

If this turns out to be the case, this would effect the treatment since the pituitary also regulates other glands and normal kidney function. Said another way, pituitary gland failure means that the other glands may also be failing and treatment other than just thyroid may be necessary.

Man, I hope that's not the case. Cause I really thought we had this thing figured out, and I'm getting tired of going to the doctor.

The doc did quiz me on how I was feeling. He seemed encouraged by the fact that I'm feeling better than I have in a long long time. But he went ahead and scheduled me for an MRI next week. He also mentioned that he may end up referring me to an endocrinologist, depending on what we find.

Anywho, maybe we'll get this nailed down before long.

Peace.

5 comments:

Cullen said...

All right! You get to go to the mraw-mraw-mraw WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! EH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EH! theater.

We're praying for you, man.

Crotalus said...

Thanks for the prayers Cullen. And hey man, don't spoil the movie; I aint seen it yet.

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying for you.

Lynda Meyers said...

Wow - I too hope it's nothing too serious. I know it's a pain to be at the doctor's every other minute, but it's good to finally know something after not knowing for so long. You know?

:)
Madison

Crotalus said...

Thanks Noah and Madison. It is good to finally be on the right track, just ready to get there. Peace.