06 August 2008

Today

On the way home today the motorcyclist in front of me collided with an automobile. I was riding with a co-worker that I carpool with, and I think he actually saw it better than I did. I was talking to my wife on the cell phone (I know, driving and talking, not the best idea). I promptly got off the phone with her and pulled over. By the time we got out and got over there, a small group had already convened. One was an off duty officer, who directed me to keep the guy talking so he would stay conscious.

I got down on the asphalt next to him and started talking to him and praying for him. I tried, very clumsily, to witness to him. He was an older gentleman that I recognized immediately from work. I'm not sure if he is an employee or a contract worker. There was blood coming out of his nose and a good sized pool of it on the ground by his head. He was able to speak and kept saying "Help me." I pray that he lives. It didn't look good.

Working for a nuclear power plant, I hear a lot about safety. But the most dangerous thing we do every day is transit to work and back home. I tried to call the hospital after church tonight but something was wrong with their computer (??), and the lady could not give me any information. I'm sure I'll hear more about it in our morning briefing.

Please, keep this gentleman in your prayers. I don't know his name, but God does.

UPDATE:
His name is Tom and he is a contract Health Physics Technician. He was flown to Savannah, where they could properly treat his wounds. From what I understand he has a broken femur, broken arm, ribs, lacerated liver, spleen?, colon, broken nose, and they had to pump blood from his lungs. He is going to live, praise God. Continue to pray for a quick healing/recovery.

Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Glad he's going to be ok. That had to be one NOT fun experience for all involved.

Anonymous said...

Not fun, but very eye-opening. Life is brief and can be very fragile.

Crot